Monday, August 09, 2010

The Sachertorte Forte II


I had no idea what Vanilla Sugar was tonight when putting together the ingredients of the torte. So I just put some sugar in, which of course is not good; to put “some” sugar in, that is. Cakes need exact amounts....or so I have always understood. But once in a while I bend that rule and its all OK, I say!
Anyway, I forgot to put any vanilla flavour what so ever.. but my mother right now tells me that the cake is smelling quite nice. I have lost my sense of smell, yet again. In thirty minutes, I shall see how the torte comes out.
The recipe or recipes I followed did not include any baking powder. 6 egg whites meringue are the only rising agents in this recipe. I wonder if the reason is because the recipe was created in 1832 and baking soda was not yet used as a rising agent?
Now, the cake is done quite beautifully. I am very happy with the result. Not too light and fluffy, not too dense. Perhaps it was good that no baking powder or any thing of the sorts was used. The 130 gm of cake margarine(yes! Margarine, not butter!!! go ahead, use butter, if you have the courage!!!) has hopefully made it moist. I cut into half and spread some of the apricot sauce I made by mixing apricot preserve, sugar and orange juice. Placed the other half, spread and smeared more of the sauce. I am going to let it cool now a bit and let the sauce dry up a bit, then spread a second layer of the apricot sauce.
In the meanwhile, should I make the glaze..? 1 cup of granulated sugar cooked in just enough water to cover the sugar till the “thread” stage and 1 cup of dark chocolate.
The glaze took time to cook! The chocolate would not melt!!! But it came out good. The glazing is not as easy as I thought. The coating remains thin. All the excess is collected in a plastic wrap underneath. I hope I can use it to coat the cake further....because there is hardly any left in the pan.


...to be continued...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home