Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not a Forte yet!


Ah Sachertorte! A case of underestimation from my side.
In a unpleasant wave of exasperation I told a friend not to assume too much, for the cause of my state was her blatant assumption on matters that seemed obviously simple but she did not really fathom.
To admit is often a heavy task. But indeed a necessary duty to oneself.

So, it is not just a case of underestimation but assumption, a characteristic that I despise in other people, I must despise in myself.

However...

I still cannot come to a conclusion that the Sachertorte is a brilliant cake. It does and did take a lot of time (mine at least). Who ever wrote 2 hours in one of the recipes must have been mad. But I think my situation was unique as well, because I took 5 hours! The Chocolate Glaze consumed 1/2 of those hours. It would simply not set!
The amount of sugar syrup was too much. It was too liquid.
I have been told “always, practice makes perfect” ….heavy, heavy....

I say, the sponge was the best component of my failed look alike. The cake had 6 egg yolks slowly mixed in to the 130gm of margarine and 100gm icing sugar creamed together one by one which created such a rich mix it might not have needed anything else. But we are making the cake here so in went the unknown amount (but perhaps about ½ a cup) of granulated sugar in lieu of the so called Vanilla Sugar, mixed thoroughly. Then went the meringue, first a couple of table spoons mixed quite roughly in and then in small portions folding in the meringue gently, till in the end you have a lovely mousse. Sifted 130gm of all purpose flour and folded that in till no dry flour was visible. Poured in a greased floured cake tin with a piece of butter paper in the bottom. Baked in a preheated oven...and my dear oven has no gas mark or anything of the sort on it...so I can only say, baked in moderate temperature for exactly 60 minutes and it came out perfect!!!!!!

While it cooled the apricot glaze was made. 1 cup of apricot preserve, ¼ cup granulated sugar (so much sugar!) and some tablespoons of orange juice. Brought it to a boil and then passed it through a sieve. I must admit (again) approximate amounts should be avoided if they are avoidable...the apricot glaze could also have been less liquid by either sticking to the recipe and putting exactly 3 tablespoons of orange juice or boiled for longer...

Cut the cooled cake into half, applied apricot glaze, placed back the two halves into place, and smeared the whole cake with it.
Again, I say, till this point, everything seemed all well.

And then the chocolate glaze.....that dared to challenge me....

I shall make it again very soon! ….as soon as the memory of using and consuming so much sugar fades away....

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home